Ok, so I might be on a corn kick, but for good reason!! Corn is super nutritious, full of satisfying fiber so you can stop cravings in their tracks.
This is one of my all time favorite ways to enjoy corn, the fresh flavors and easy prep make it an ideal addition to lunch or dinner as the weather gets warmer. Feel free to add in some protein like salmon, tunafish, grilled chicken or hard boiled egg!
Sweet Corn, tomato & avocado salad
Total Prep: 20 minutes
Chill: 30 minutes (optional)
Makes: 6 Servings
• 4 ears corn – shucked
• 1 Tablespoon olive oil
• 1 red bell pepper, diced
• 1 red onion, minced
• 2 to 3 cloves garlic, minced
• Handful of fresh basil leaves
• 1 Ripe avocado
• 1 pint grape tomatoes, cut in half
• Salt and pepper
• 1 lemon, cut in half
1. To steam corn, place corn in large pot of boiling water for 5 minutes. Remove and run under cold water to cool down.
2. Slide a knife down each ear of corn to remove kernels. Place kernals in a bowl, set aside.
3. Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat.
4. Add bell pepper and onion; sauté until softened. Add garlic. Continue to cook for one more minute. Approximately 4 to 5 minutes total.
5. Add corn kernels to sauté pan. Season with salt and pepper and cook for about 2 minutes more. Remove from heat. Pour corn into a bowl and refrigerate for 1 hour.
6. Meanwhile, cut avocado in half. Remove pit. Using the tip of your knife, score the avocado flesh, making squares, then scoop it out with a spoon. Squeeze lemon juice over avocado and set aside.
7. Remove corn from refrigerator, add avocado, tomatoes and fresh basil, toss and serve!
NOTE: This salad may be enjoyed cold or room temperature.
Nutrition Information: (1/6 of recipe)
164 calories; 25g carbohydrate; 7g fat; 5g protein; 113mg sodium; 5g fiber
Recipe by: Jacqueline Gomes, RDN, MBA