As our quarantine cuisine continues I was itching to use my frozen shrimp in a more creative and fun way. Enter Taco Tuesday of course! These super easy Spicy Shrimp Tacos will have you reminiscing about warm summer days. The fresh tasting ingredients are a nice change from some of the pantry staples you may have been enjoying lately.
What did I have on hand? Frozen shrimp (always), Sabra (R) guacamole singles, a few jalapeños, cilantro by accident (there was no parsley at the store!), arugula and the tortillas were in my freezer!
Vinny loved them, I think he had 7 of them haha!
Spicy Shrimp Tacos
Total Prep: 30 minutes
Makes: ~10 Tacos
· 1 medium onion, sliced
· 2 jalapeños, seeded & sliced (keep seeds for more heat)*
· 1 tsp olive oil
· ¼ cup prepared guacamole*
· ¼ cup light mayonnaise
· ½ lime, juiced
· ¼ cup chopped cilantro
· 1.5 lbs shrimp (16-20ct), peeled, deveined
· 1 tsp kosher salt
· 1 tsp garlic powder
· ½ tsp cumin
· 1 tsp chili powder
· ½ tsp onion powder
· 2 tsp olive oil, separated
· ½ lime, juiced
· 2 cups Arugula
· 10 (8-inch) whole wheat tortillas
1. Heat oil in a skillet over low heat. Add onions, jalapenos and sprinkle of salt. Cook until onion is soft and golden brown, about 20 minutes. Set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, combine guacamole, mayonnaise, lime juice, cilantro. Cover and refrigerate.
3. Meanwhile, in a large bowl combine shrimp, salt, garlic powder, cumin, chili powder, onion powder and 1 tsp olive oil. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add remaining 1 tsp oil and seasoned shrimp. Cook until opaque and shrimp is cooked through on both sides.
4. Warm tortillas if desired. Assemble tortillas: Lay one tortilla on flat surface followed by avocado sauce, arugula, shrimp and onions & jalapeños.
*NOTE: If serving with children, consider using only one jalapeno and remove seeds to reduce level of heat. I used store prepared guacamole, you can also use ½ avocado mashed.
Nutrition information for 2 Tacos:
456 Calories; 56g Carbohydrate; 14g Fat; 27g Protein; 1,677mg Sodium; 6g Fiber