Cabbage is often an overlooked vegetable, despite having a very impressive nutritional profile.
Sometime cabbage is mistaken for a type of lettuce, but it actually belongs to the same family as broccoli, cauliflower and kale!
Very low in calories at only 22 calories per cup it packs a punch as a good source of fiber, vitamin C and K.
Cabbage contains insoluble fiber, which keeps the digestive system healthy by providing fuel for friendly bacteria. Vitamin C protects the body from free radicals that can cause cancer and is needed for the production of collagen.
Cabbage steaks are all the rage right now, so today we’re taking vegetables from boring to awesome with my spicy paprika cabbage steaks.
Spicy Paprika Cabbage Steaks
These roasted cabbage steaks are a cinch to prepare and take vegetables from boring to awesome in just 30 minutes!
Prep: 5 minutes
Bake: 25 minutes
Makes: 4 Servings
· 1 small cabbage head
· 3 tablespoons Olive oil
· 4 garlic gloves, minced
· 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
· ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
· ½ teaspoon thyme
· ½ teaspoon Salt
· 1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese (optional)
1. Remove any dark, loose leaves from the cabbage. Cut off the bottom root of the cabbage head.
2. Cut the cabbage in half, then cut each half again for 4 round discs.
3. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper, lay down cabbage steaks.
4. In a small bowl combine olive oil and garlic, in another small bowl combine spices and herbs paprika through salt. Using a pastry brush, brush one side of the steaks with olive oil/garlic and sprinkle with half of spice & herb mixture.
5. Flip steaks over and repeat.
6. Roast for about 30 minutes or until edges are crisp and center is tender. Sprinkle evenly with parmesan cheese before serving.
Nutrition Information for one steak:
142 calories, 11g carbs, 11g fat, 2.5g protein, 354mg sodium, 3g fiber
Recipe: Jacqueline Gomes, RDN, MBA