Family meals can be this easy…prep the night before to the marinating started. 45 minutes before you’re ready to eat, pop this chicken in the oven and you’ll have a delicious & hearty meal on the table that is healthy and supports your weight loss goals. Remember that all foods fit when you track your intake and stay within your goals.
Lemon Oregano Spatchcocked Chicken
By butterflying your chicken, it will cook faster and more evenly!
Prep: 10 minutes
Marinate: 2 hours or overnight
Cook time: 45 minutes
Makes: 6 servings
· 1 whole chicken
· Olive oil
· 3 sprigs fresh rosemary
· 4 garlic gloves
· ½ cup parsley
· 3 lemons
· Salt & pepper
· 1 pound yams, peeled and cubed
- Butterfly chicken: Place breast side down on cutting board. Using kitchen shears cut up on either side of backbone. Remove the backbone and set aside to prepare stock.
- Open the chicken and flip over so that breast side is now up. Press down firmly to flatten and you hear bones “pop”. Place chicken in a glass baking dish.
- Prepare marinade: Place garlic, parsley, rosemary (no stems) and drizzle of oil in a mini food processor. Process until finely minced (see note). Pour into a bowl, whisk in lemon juice from 1 lemon and 2 tbsp olive oil.
- Pour over chicken, cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Place chicken breast side up in a large roasting pan, season with salt and pepper. Cut remaining lemons and place inside roasting pan skin side down. Add yams to pan. Cook for 20 minutes per side.
TIP: If pan begins to burn, add water to pan.
NOTE: If you do not have a mini processor, simply mince using a large knife.
- Chicken is done when internal temperature reaches 170 degrees F. Remove from oven and serve immediately with additional vegetables
Recipe: Jacqueline Gomes, RDN
Nutrition Information: ¼ yams + 4 ounces chicken: 386 Calories; 35g Carbs, 23g protein; 5g fat; 5g fiber