As we begin to trade t-shirts for sweatshirts and feel the chill of cool Autumn mornings, you may start to crave cozy comfort meals to satisfy the chill.
While comfort foods are often perceived as higher fat or higher sugar alternatives to healthier dishes. But, with a few simple adjustments this may not always be the case!
· Add in more veggies to bulk up the nutrition factor such as sweet potatoes, squash and apples.
· Swap out a higher fat ingredient like sour cream for low fat Greek yogurt.
· Change the portion size. Enjoy your comfort food as is, simply reduce your portion size and enjoy.
Chili is a fall and winter favorite, add in sweet potatoes to further enhance the cozy comfort food factor on this popular dish!
Lean Beef Sweet Potato Chili
Prep: 10 minutes
Ready in: 30 minutes
Makes: 5 Cups Servings
· 1 tablespoon olive oil
· 1 small onion, minced
· 1 carrot, diced
· ½ bell pepper, diced
· 3 garlic cloves, minced
· 1 jalapeno pepper, minced
· 1-pound 92% Ground Beef
· 2 teaspoons ground cumin
· 1 tablespoon chili powder
· ½ tablespoon smoked paprika
· 1 teaspoon ground coriander
· 1 teaspoon kosher salt
· 28 ounces canned crushed tomato
· 18 oz baked Sweet potato fries (frozen or homemade)
Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add in olive oil, onions, carrots and bell pepper. Sauté until onions are soft and translucent, about 2 minutes.
Add in garlic and jalapeno pepper. Stirring constantly, cook for about 1 minute, careful to not let garlic burn.
Add in Ground Beef, breaking up into bits with large spoon cook until no longer pink and beef is well cooked. About 5 to 7 minutes.
Stir in all spice’s, cumin through salt. Add in crushed tomatoes.
Reduce heat to medium and cook for 15 minutes.
Portion chili into 4 serving bowls, top with Alexia sweet potatoes.
Serve with diced avocado and shredded Mexican cheese if desired.
Nutrition information for 1 cup without sweet potatoes:
225 calories, 15g Carbohydrate; 10g fat; 20g protein; 1,307mg sodium; 4g fiber
Nutrition Information for 1 cup + sweet potatoes:
393 calories; 44g carbohydrate, 16g fat; 22g protein; 1,476mg sodium; 7g fiber