When you’re entertaining, plan ahead with festive appetizers and finger foods to keep everyone party ready! Choosing appetizers that are filled with protein and fiber is key to keep you feeling fuller longer!
· Have a mix of indulgent foods such as puff pastry tarts and baked cheese dips with healthier options so that everyone can partake in the festivity of the holiday.
· Healthier options like Green Way shrimp cocktail, veggies and hummus, caprese skewers and deviled eggs are both satisfying and delicious.
· Mocktails can help keep calories in check by eliminating the alcohol. Oceanspray Cranberry juice cocktail makes a terrific base for your drinks.
Finger Foods & appetizers for a crowd:
· Charcuterie Plate: Prosciutto, Chorizo, Olives, Hummus, fig spread and a variety of your favorite cheeses such as Manchego, mini herbed mozzarella balls, Brie and Swiss. Don’t forget to add fruits – seedless grapes, strawberries and dried fruits all work well.
· Ricotta, pesto & cherry tomatoes over crostini
· Artichoke & Ricotta Stuffed Mushrooms (recipe below)
· Pigs in a blanket (wrap mini hotdogs in crescent roll dough)
· Baked Brie & Cranberry bites. Fill ready to bake phyllo cups with one slice of brie and one teaspoon cranberry sauce
· Extras: Dips, corn chips, Carrots, Celery, Cucumber slices, Fresh Bread
Artichoke & Ricotta Stuffed Mushrooms
Prep: 10 minutes
Bake: 15 minutes
Makes: approximately 50 mushrooms
· 50 small mushrooms, stems removed and chopped (set aside)
· 1 onion, finely chopped
· 1 Tbsp olive oil
· 2 garlic cloves, minced
· 14 ounces artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
· 1 ½ cup ricotta cheese (whole milk or low fat)
· 1 cup frozen spinach, thawed
· ½ cup shredded parmesan cheese
· Salt & pepper
· ½ cup shredded mozzarella (optional topping)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Place mushrooms hollow side up on a baking sheet. Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat, sauté onion, mushroom stems and garlic until onion is soft and translucent. Set aside to cool.
3. In a large bowl combine all ingredients together, mix well to combine.
Using a tablespoon fill each mushroom, top with shredded mozzarella if desired.
4. Bake for about 15 minutes and serve warm.
Recipe by: Jacqueline Gomes, RDN
Nutrition information: Nutrition information is approximate based on size of mushrooms’ and how many are prepared using the filling above. This recipe is based on 50 filled mushrooms.
20 calories; 2g carbohydrate; 1g Fat; 1.5g protein; 63mg sodium; 0g fiber
Prep: 10 minutes
Makes: about 8 servings
2 pounds Green Way Raw Shrimp
2 Tbsp Olive oil
Old Bay Seasoning
Peel and devein shrimp. Rinse and dry well.
Preheat the broiler in your oven. Meanwhile drizzle olive oil over shrimp and toss to coat. Season with Old Bay evenly.
Place a cookie sheet under broiler for about 5 minutes. Remove and immediately add shrimp in a single later, place under broiler for 2 minutes, turn shrimp and broil another 2-3 minutes until shrimp are opaque.
Chill for 2 hours before serving with cocktail sauce.
Nutrition information: Serving size 4 ounces
110 Calories, 1g Carbohydrate; 4g fat; 15g protein; 669mg sodium; 0g fiber