This family friendly chicken dish was inspired by a childhood favorite that my mom would make. In Spanish, “carne guisada” was originally made with veal. However, my family does not eat veal so I simply switched it out for chicken. You can also use turkey if you prefer!
We enjoy this meal at least once a week; it’s amazing over rice, pasta, quinoa or any other grain your family enjoys. We try to switch up weekly. I love that you can create just a savory sauce with just a few pantry essentials like broth and tomato paste! I think you’ll agree that this is one of the easiest weeknight dinner you can make – if you can I recommend cooking up a batch over the weekend so it’s ready to go for Monday or Tuesday night!
Family Favorite Saucy Chicken
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 25-30 minutes
Makes: 5 Servings
· ½ onion, diced
· 1 red bell pepper, diced
· 1 carrot, minced
· 3 garlic gloves, minced
· 1.5 pounds chicken tenderloins or breast, cut into ½ inch pieces
· 2 tablespoons tomato paste
· ¾ cup chicken broth
· 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
· ½ teaspoon cumin
· Salt & pepper
· 1 tablespoon canola oil
1. Heat oil in medium sized Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, pepper, carrot and garlic. Cook, stirring often for about 5 to 7 minutes or until vegetables are softened.
2. Increase heat to medium-high and add chicken, stir to combine all ingredients. Cover for about 2 minutes. Uncover and continue to stir frequently until chicken is lightly browned (~8-minutes). Careful not to scorch your pan.
3. Add broth, tomato paste and all seasonings. Stir well and continue to cook for a few minutes more until chicken is cooked through and sauce thickens. (about 5 minutes).
4. Cover and remove from heat. Let stand for 8 to 10 minutes.
Serve over pasta, rice or other grain you enjoy!
Make ahead tip: The entire recipe, steps 1 to 4 can be prepared in advance. Cool completely and store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Freeze any remaining chicken for up to 2 months.
Nutrition information for 6 ounce serving: 180 calories; 7g Carbohydrate; 3g Fat; 28g protein; 320mg Sodium; 2g Fiber