Ah…fall when everything orange makes its debut! Haha, I love fall for all its beauty. I especially enjoy all the root vegetables and squash that are in season right now!
This soup will satisfy the need for something warm and sweet! Consider serving inside a pumpkin for a little something special, but a bowl will work just fine too. Happy Halloween and Enjoy!
Prep time: 30 minutes
Total cook time:
Makes approximately 8 cups 1 serving = 1 cup
· 2.5 pounds Butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch cubes.
· 1 tablespoon canola oil, plus more for drizzling
· 1/2 large onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
· 3 cloves garlic, minced
· 2 large carrots, peeled, cut into ¼ inch rounds .
· 4 cups chicken broth
· 1 tablespoon curry powder
· ½ cup Toasted Pumpkin seeds* (fresh or store bought)
· ½ cup Toasted Shredded coconut*
1. Preheat oven to 450°F. Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil, add squash and carrots, drizzle evenly with olive oil.
2. Roast for a total of 30 minutes or until vegetable are soft; toss every 10 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
3. In a Dutch oven, heat one tablespoon canola oil over low-medium heat. Add onions, cook until soft but not brown (~3 minutes), add garlic and continue to cook for 2 minutes more.
4. Push vegetables to one side, add curry powder and toast for about 30 seconds. Add vegetables, salt, pepper and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes to allow soup to thicken. Remove from heat.
5. Using an immersion blender, blend until smooth. You may also use a blender, be sure soup is cooled.
6. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Serve in a small hollowed pumpkin or bowl. Top each bowl with toasted coconut and pumpkin seeds if desired.
· Toasting Pumpkin seeds – heat oven to 400°F, spread pumpkin seeds onto a small cookie sheet and drizzle with about one teaspoon canola oil. Toast for approximately 15 minutes.
· Toasting coconut – heat oven to 400°F, spread coconut onto a small cookie sheet, only toast for 2 to 3 minutes! Shredded coconut will burn very quickly, watch carefully!!
Nutrition Information for one cup includes soup, coconut and seeds:
249 calories, 41g carbohydrate; 7g protein; 4g fat; 150mg sodium, 5.5g fiber
Recipe & Image: Jacqueline Gomes, RDN, MBA