Fish is one of the healthiest and easiest proteins to prepare. Whether you’re observing Lent or not, fish is a delicious part of any weekly meal. The trick to making a delicious fish dish includes purchasing fresh, seasoning well and cooking safely to just the right temperature (145 degrees F).
- Avoid fish with a “fishy” odor, discoloration, darkening or drying around the edges
- Fish eyes should be clear and slightly bulging
- Whole fish and fillets should have firm, shiny flesh that springs back when pressed
- The Omega-3’s found in fish contribute to a healthy heart, fight inflammation and reduce your risk of having a stroke!
- Steamed, grilled or broiled; many fish can be prepared in under 20 minutes! Sea bass, cod, flounder, salmon and shrimp are quick and easy.
- Season fish and shellfish simply, with olive oil, salt and pepper you can’t go wrong!
Crispy Flounder-Asparagus Bundles
- 4 6 ounce Flounder Fillets
- 1 pound asparagus spears trimmed
- Salt & pepper
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ cup panko bread crumbs
- Lemon zest of one lemon + juice
- 1 tablespoon minded parsley
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ½ cup white wine or chicken broth
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 435 degrees F.
- Drizzle asparagus with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Season fish with salt, pepper, thyme and garlic powder.
- Wrap each fish fillet with 5 to 6 asparagus spears and secure with a toothpick. Place in rimmed baking dish coated with cooking spray. Repeat with remaining fillets.
- Combine panko, lemon zest, lemon juice and parsley. Top each fillet evenly with crumb topping. Drizzle with olive oil or spray with cooking spray. Pour wine or chicken broth into the bottom of the baking dish (not top of fish.)
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork and asparagus is crisp but tender.
- Serve immediately.
238 Calories; 8g carbohydrate; 28g protein; 3g fiber
Meatless meals are a great way to incorporate variety throughout your weekly meals. If you think fish is “to difficult” to prepare, think again! These flounder-asparagus bundles are super simple and will be on the table in under 30 minutes.