These tasty muffins can be a great start to your morning or a quick snack! A delicious way to get in some heart healthy fats from olive oil and heart healthy fiber from oats! Each muffin is only 119 calories! Pair it with a rich source of protein such as Greek yogurt or an omelet.
Apple Pie Oatmeal Muffins
Prep: 15 minutes
Bake: 25 minutes
Makes: 24 Muffins
· 2 1/2 cups quick-cooking oatmeal
· 2 cups light buttermilk
· 1/2 cup light brown sugar
· 1/2 cup Filippo Berio® Delicato Extra Virgin Olive Oil
· 1 large egg, lightly beaten
· 1 large Cortland apple, grated
· 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
· 1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
· 1 1/4 tsp baking soda
· 1 tsp ground cinnamon
· 1/4 tsp ground cloves
· 1/2 tsp salt
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Place oats in large bowl; pour buttermilk over top. Stir together; let stand for 30 minutes.
3. Stir in sugar, olive oil, egg and apple.
4. Sift together whole wheat and all-purpose flours, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and salt; add to oats mixture.
5. Spray nonstick muffin pans with olive oil and fill each muffin cup with 1/2 cup of the batter.
6. Bake for 25 minutes or until set and springy to the touch. Serve warm.
Nutrition Information for 1 muffin
119 Calories; 15g Carbohydrate; 6g Fat (1g Saturated, 1g poly, 4g monounsaturated); 3g Protein; 63mg Sodium; 1g Fiber
Recipe by: Filippo Berio® Olive Oil
Photo by: Jacqueline Gomes, RDN